Visit your MP
We are actively asking people to visit their MPs at their constituency surgeries in order to ask them to join the APPG on surrogacy and support the campaign for legal reform.
Nothing is as powerful as explaining in person why this issue is important to you. Both Andrew Percy, our APPG Chair, and Sir Vince Cable, member of the APPG and leader of the Liberal Democrats in the House of Lords, became involved after being approached by their constituents
So, how do you do this?
- Click here to find out who your MP is and how to get in touch
- Write to your MP to ask to get an appointment at one of their constituency surgeries. Most MPs also do drop in events and often give details on their Facebook pages.
- You can share the briefing document with them and take it with you when you go
- Make it personal – tell them about your experience and why it matters to you
- Have a list of requests – can your MP:
- join the APPG;
- raise the issue of surrogacy and law reform with the minister, Jackie Doyle-Price;
- raise the issue with their party and drum up support from other MPs;
- write to the Law Commission supporting the proposals laid out by the SUK working group?
- Tag us on Facebook and Twitter – @SurrogacyUKORG @APPGsurrogacy. Here are some people who have done just this! If you have visited your MP tag us in your photo
Write to your MP:
Writing to your MP is simple and effective. You can use this template but please do remember to personalise it. It has so much more effect if they are your words. Tag us on @APPGsurrogacy and @SurrogacyUKORG to tell us if you write to your MP. Let’s get some #peoplepower going!
LETTER TO ASK YOUR MP TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE APPG:
Dear [insert MP’s name],
As my local MP, I am contacting you to ask you to become a member of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Surrogacy. I understand the demands on a MP’s time; however, this issue is very important to me and I would be extremely grateful if you can represent my experience and wishes for reform.
[Constituents can add their personal stories here – why is surrogacy important to you and why do you think the law should be changed. ]
The APPG aims to fully review our surrogacy laws, facilitate further research into how it is conducted, bring the law into line with modern social realities and to encourage those who need to undertake surrogacy to do so in the UK. Please read the briefing document that is helpful in summarising this issue.
If you would like to learn more about this issue or attend an APPG event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Your support would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this email.
[insert your name]
[SN2]Link to attached briefing doc